The Black Travel Alliance Research Committee which includes five current members of the board is responsible for undertaking quantitative (data-driven) and qualitative (unstructured and non-numerical data) research projects. Internally, this involves creating and analyzing results from member surveys. Externally, this involves working with market research firms or other organizations to conduct consumer, historical, or other research on Black travelers, destination management organizations, and travel brands.
Current projects include:
History Of Black Travel in partnership with Tourism RESET
- Black Travel Alliance Launches History Of Black Travel Website To Showcase The Development Of Black Leisure Travel In Partnership With Tourism RESET (July 2021): Included in the initial launch of the History Of Black Travel website is a timeline with 130+ entries from the Americas, focusing mostly on the United States. It provides insight into the early Black travel explorers and groundbreakers, major migration movements, and leisure travel developments of those from the African Diaspora. It also includes major judicial and legislative events as well as cultural events that have inspired Black travel. The plan is to continue building out the timeline to add Black leisure travel stories from all continents and countries across the globe.
The Black Traveler Study in partnership with MMGY Global
- Black Travel Alliance Partners With MMGY Global For The Black Traveler Study
- Phase I (published November 2020): The Black Traveler: Insights, Opportunities & Priorities report provides insights into the leisure and meetings segments of the U.S. Black travel economy. It analyzes findings from MMGY Global’s 2019 Shifflet TRAVEL PERFORMANCE/MonitorTM, which surveyed 4,800 Black leisure travelers within the United States, and a survey of 200 members of the National Coalition of Black Meeting Professionals in 2020 (NCBMP).
- Phase II (published January 2021): Profile of the Global Black Traveler shares insights from a new custom survey with 3,635 respondents from six countries: United States (n=1,631), Canada (n=500), France (n=501), Germany (n=503), and United Kingdom (U.K.)/Ireland (n=500). The survey delves into the decision-making process for vacation planning and uncovers the barriers and experiences that Black leisure travelers encounter across international markets.
- MMGY Global launches two grant programs (April 2021) with the US$100,000 net proceeds raised from the sale of The Black Traveler: Insights, Opportunities & Priorities study.
- MMGY Global Announces Recipients Of Grants Supporting Black Travel Organizations And Black Content Creators (July 2021): US$70,000 has been awarded to 20 Black Travel Content Creators And 10 Black Travel Organizations in the U.S. and Europe to help amplify Black voices in the Travel Industry.
#PullupForTravel Social Media Campaign
The #PullUpForTravel campaign announced alongside the organization’s launch on June 16th, 2020, requested travel brands and organizations publicly share 2019 KPIs on Black representation in their companies and activities in five major areas: employment, conferences & tradeshows, paid advertising/marketing campaigns, press, and philanthropy.
- Reported KPIs shared on social media by travel brands and destinations
- Campaign Report Press Release – Lack of Diversity In The Travel Industry Highlighted From Black Travel Alliance #PullUpForTravel Campaign Report
- Read and download the #PullUpForTravel Campaign Summary
- Read and download the #PullUpForTravel Full Report
- Industry Case Studies
Again, the work being done by the Black Travel Alliance Research Committee is undertaken by six members of the board. You can read all about them via the Research Committee Members page.
Get in touch with the Black Travel Alliance Research Committee via email@example.com.