As unapologetic promoters of Cleveland, the Destination Cleveland team works every day to attract visitors, inspire both visitors and locals alike to explore, and connect people to experiences that illustrate Cleveland’s diversity, creativity, and contagious passion. We’re in the business of equitably growing the region’s economy through travel and tourism while also cultivating a passion for Greater Cleveland.
As the only organization charged with marketing Cleveland outside of the region, we never stop talking about the city. We know the region inside and out. We roll up our sleeves and get the job done for The Land. We’re a group of expectation-exceeding, fun-loving, innovative professionals. And that’s who we like to hire.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
As a key member of the Destination Cleveland’s Sales Team, the Senior Manager, Convention Sales, Affinity Groups will be a creative, energetic, and knowledgeable professional who is accountable for Destination Cleveland’s mission to promote and sell the destination to increase convention and visitor business while maximizing the economic impact on the area. This position is responsible for all bookings that are 150 peak room nights and higher in the following markets:
- Markets: Affinity Groups
- Third Party: N/A
- Excluded: HelmsBriscoe, ConferenceDirect, SmithBucklin (all offices), & Maritz (all offices)
Travel expectations: About 10% of total annual working hours. Willingness and ability to work flexible hours on evenings, weekends, and holidays based on client and office demands and to travel by air when required. Markets and travel expectations are subject to change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead sales efforts for affinity groups including veterans’ groups, recovery groups, faith groups, women’s leadership groups, groups for people of color, multi-cultural groups, LGBTQ+ groups, disability groups, and other affinity groups as agreed upon by Senior Director of Convention Sales.
- Meet established goals for monthly, quarterly, and annual quotas.
- Develop and implement ongoing strategic proactive prospecting sales plan that includes managing complex and large-scale bookings from beginning to end, including generating lead, sending to convention center and hotel community, turning booking definite, and transitioning to Convention Services.
- Attend tradeshows, sales missions, networking meetings and local meetings to solicit convention business.
- Act as a strategic thought leader managing the sales process for each business opportunity, actively communicating with community stakeholders.
- Proactively identify elevated potential and current business to partner with Marketing for proposals, presentations, and site visits.
- Make personal presentations to boards of directors, meeting planners, key decision makers, local contacts, convention delegates and or site selection committees as needed to secure leads and/or book business.
- Coordinate all aspects of bid, including proposals, maximizing resources, incorporating market specific facts, and incorporating creativity to give Cleveland the competitive edge.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of intra-city facilities, attractions, and services available in the area to customers and act as liaison for the customer.
- Coordinate and conduct site inspections in Cleveland, showcasing facilities and attractions partnering with Services and Marketing for elevated meetings.
- Assist with the development of and participation in FAMs by securing qualified customers.
- Maintain existing and past account relationships through proactive outreach to maintained book of business to rebook business.
- Document exemplary information into CRM and manage database through ongoing audits.
- Partner with Convention Services to ensure smooth transition of booked business.
- Maintain high visibility for Destination Cleveland through professional and trade association memberships.
- Maintain familiarity with competing areas and issues that impact Destination Cleveland ability to market Cleveland effectively.
- Work within the established SOPs related to convention sales.
- Adhere to the senior manager title level competency as designated by the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years sales account experience OR 8+ years equivalent relevant work experience.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Expert relationship building and management skills
- Demonstrated experience with one or more affinity groups
- Strong team player with ability to work independently
- Proficient knowledge of computer systems and sales-related software applications, specifically Microsoft Office Powerpoint, Excel and Word.
- Maintains a professional image and manner with customers
- Previous experience in the market and working in hotels/convention centers/dmo’s a plus
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Must be flexible, resourceful and possess a keen ability to find solutions to book business into Cleveland
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Viewing computer monitors
- Standing for community functions, presentations, trade shows, etc.
- Traveling to other locations to represent Destination Cleveland and represent Cleveland as a destination.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Office and work at home hybrid environment; moderate noise. Offsite visits/appointments required.