Job Title: Editorial Content Creator
Reports to: Director of Content
FLSA Status: Exempt
This is a newly created role for Explore Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau (Explore Asheville). The Editorial Content Creator is responsible for brand storytelling in multiple mediums that inspires, engages, prompts actions, and deepens understanding of the destination. This position also coordinates logistics for video and photo shoots working to support organizational and strategic goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for researching, writing, and updating content stories, blog posts, alerts, and Bound content for ExploreAsheville.com as assigned to meet specific content, marketing, and sales objectives.
- Responsible for refreshing Web content to ensure accuracy and updating SEO.
- Manages e-communication program under the direction of Director of Content and is responsible for the writing and distribution of monthly e-newsletter and other e-blasts, as well as evaluating analytics to further optimize e-mail content. May also work with outside agency to develop sponsored content, as needed.
- Routinely spends time in the community seeking story ideas, video and still photography opportunities and scouting locations.
- Use web content management system to upload new content, images, and video or to supplement existing content.
- Assist in the development of other collateral and content needs across departments throughout the organization.
- Responsible for on-site support during shoots as required.
- Coordinate photo and video shoots under guidance of Director of Content, including all pre-production, logistics, talent and crew acquisition, partner outreach and coordination within a designated budget.
- Shoot and edit in market video and still photography as requested using internal camera/video equipment.
- Edit existing video for web site, marketing campaigns, presentations, and meetings.
- Optimize best practices for search engine optimization (SEO) to maximize effectiveness of webpages, blog stories and Explore Asheville YouTube channel.
- Monitor and respond consistently to TripAdvisor visitor forum.
- Serve as the main point of contact for internal digital asset management system and work with marketing coordinator to ensure up-to-date documentation.
- Provide proofing assistance as needed.
- Accountable for the day-to-day workload and contribute to a cohesive, effective, and accountable team in alignment and consistent with Explore Asheville’s values. Actively participate in team meetings and initiatives.
- Lead and/or participate in meetings/planning/initiatives to support strong workplace culture and successful performance/execution of organizational strategy. Elevate and solve issues, support change, and ensure the maintenance of productive processes.
- Represent Explore Asheville/BCTDA at meetings and industry functions and before the public. This may include making presentations to a wide range of groups.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. There may be times where this position is asked to help other team members with their work, completing tasks outside of this description.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years of experience in communications, content creation, media journalism, or digital marketing. Preferred degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Interactive Media, or other related field -OR- any combination of education, coursework, and/or technical training necessary to meet position requirements.
- Excellent writing, communications, and proofing skills with demonstrated experience required, with an emphasis on writing for interactive media channels and web sites.
- Photography and video production/editing experience, including Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, iMovie, Splice, Canva or other photo/video editing software preferred.
- Familiarity with graphic design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite or Canva preferred.
- Experience working with web content management systems, such as WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla. Experience with Simpleview CMS a plus.
- Experience working with e-mail distribution software, such as MailChimp, Constant Contact or HubSpot. Experience with Act-On a plus.
- Knowledge of AP Style guidelines preferred.
- Goal-driven with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and adhere to deadlines.
- Must be a strategic thinker and a proven self-starter able to support achievement of organizational
- Appreciation for Buncombe County’s tourism community.
- Must be able to use sound judgment and discretion.
- Well-organized, self-motivated, and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- High attention to detail.
Physical Environment & Working Conditions:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work involves working alone on the computer, collaborating as part of a team, or working closely with others by computer or over the phone.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors.
- Must be able to sit or stand at a desk for up to 7.5 hours per day.
- Requires grasping, writing, being mobile, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Attendance of outside work functions after hours are required.
- Position is expected to spend time in the community on a regular basis.
Some local travel, generally within Buncombe County, is required, but not extensive. Must have a valid driver’s license, current automobile insurance and own or have access to an automobile when needed.
Explore Asheville provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Explore Asheville strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates from a variety of abilities, backgrounds, and cultures.
About Explore Asheville:
The Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority (BCTDA) oversees the work of the Explore Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau, which develops and carries out advertising, marketing, public relations, and group sales plans to inspire leisure and business travelers to visit Asheville and Buncombe County. In 2021, the BCTDA adopted strategic imperatives that are informing and guiding the direction of Explore Asheville’s program of work and community investments going forward. These strategic imperatives include:
- Deliver balanced recovery and sustainable growth
- Encourage safe and responsible travel
- Engage and invite more diverse audiences
- Promote and support Asheville’s creative Spirit
In addition, the Explore Asheville staff has adopted and embraced the following core values:
- Innovate & Evolve – We seek out new ideas and are open to change.
- Leadership & Collaboration – We focus on the truly important priorities to make the most positive impact.
- Equity & Empathy – We respect and embrace differences recognizing real progress requires inclusion.
What we offer:
Explore Asheville offers a competitive benefits package that includes a Paid Time Off program with 18 days to start, 11 annual paid office holidays, employer-subsidized medical insurance, employer-provided dental, life, STD and LTD insurance, plus 401k with a company match, and employee wellness benefits.