Job Title: Director of Marketing
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Marketing
FLSA Status: Exempt
This is a newly created role for Explore Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau (Explore Asheville). The Director of Marketing is responsible for leading an internal marketing team and agency partners, collaborating with cross functional teams, expediting a high volume of projects with strong management skills, and balancing analytical capability with creativity to achieve overall organizational goals. This role guides data-driven creative storytelling implementation and engagement to drive consumer demand, effectively managing/administering an estimated annual budget of $15 million.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead and direct innovative, integrated marketing strategies and plans that connect with audiences, inspire travel to Asheville, and influence visitor behavior with a special focus on growth segments.
- Be a thought-leader in understanding audience opportunities, motivators, and barriers while maintaining awareness of current events and trends relevant to leisure, lifestyle, and group business travel.
- Direct brand storytelling, paid media, collateral, promotions and partnership, and sales-oriented email campaigns.
- Ensure storytelling, messaging and media delivers on Asheville’s brand positioning and is told through its brand voice.
- Work directly with agency account leadership to allocate, invest, analyze, and optimize paid media budgets across all channels to meet business objectives.
- Lead agency negotiations to ensure adequate support while maximizing efficiency of fees relative to scope.
- Use data-driven methods including visitor profiles, analysis, and measurement to improve effectiveness and efficiency of all efforts.
- Collaborate and consult with marketing team leaders and the Senior VP in the development of annual objectives, initiatives and key results that determine success.
- Maintain strong leadership role within Marketing department at all times; act as managing leader in the absence of the Senior VP.
- Collaborate with VP of Business Development to craft creative messaging and assets, develop paid media and partnerships to grow group business travel.
- Oversee marketing production calendar for all projects, including developing approval and feedback processes.
- Develop, plan, and oversee creation of all print and digital marketing collateral, sales pieces, and other resources, including visitor guides, meeting planner resources and similar products.
- Identify, introduce, and continuously improve systems and workflows that efficiently and effectively shepherd marketing projects from initiation to completion. Apply and manage systems sustainably within the organization which may include guiding and training the process with cross-departmental teams.
- Accountable for achieving specific marketing objectives as designated.
- Work with team to track and share monthly highlights with the BCTDA.
- Effectively lead and inspire a team of three direct reports: Marketing & Promotions Manager, Group Marketing Manager and Marketing Coordinator.
- Manage staff and build a cohesive, effective, and accountable team in alignment and consistent with Explore Asheville values. Responsibilities include hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; managing/coaching and appraising performance and related pay changes; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Actively participate in team meetings and initiatives.
- Prepare budgets, develop methods for tracking, and prepare/analyze reports. Monitor/approve contractor performance.
- Accountable for the day-to-day workload and contribute to a cohesive, effective, and accountable team in alignment and consistent with Explore Asheville’s values. Actively participate in team meetings and initiatives.
- Lead and/or participate in meetings/planning/initiatives to support strong workplace culture and successful performance/execution of organizational strategy. Elevate and solve issues, support change, and ensure the maintenance of productive processes.
- Represent Explore Asheville/BCTDA at meetings and industry functions and before the public. This may include making presentations to a wide range of groups.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. There may be times where this position is asked to help other team members with their work, completing tasks outside of this description.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 8 years of experience in progressively responsible positions in marketing. Preferred degree in Marketing, Advertising, Business Administration, Journalism, Communications, or other related field -OR- any combination of education, coursework, and/or technical training necessary to meet position requirements.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of people management experience, including team management and supervision.
- Highly effective written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with marketing or advertising agencies
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Budget experience.
- Demonstrated examples of creativity and innovation.
- Goal-driven with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to handle the pressure of meeting tight deadlines and work well independently on several projects concurrently.
- Appreciation for Buncombe County’s tourism community.
- Must be able to use sound judgment and discretion.
- Well-organized, self-motivated, and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- High attention to detail.
Physical Environment & Working Conditions:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work involves working alone on the computer, collaborating as part of a team, or working closely with others by computer or over the phone.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors.
- Must be able to sit or stand at a desk for up to 7.5 hours per day.
- Requires grasping, writing, being mobile, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Attendance of outside work functions after hours are required.
- Position is expected to spend time in the community on a regular basis.
Some local travel, generally within Buncombe County, is required, but not extensive. Must have a valid driver’s license, current automobile insurance and own or have access to an automobile when needed.
Explore Asheville provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Explore Asheville strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates from a variety of abilities, backgrounds, and cultures.
About Explore Asheville:
The Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority (BCTDA) oversees the work of the Explore Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau, which develops and carries out advertising, marketing, public relations, and group sales plans to inspire leisure and business travelers to visit Asheville and Buncombe County. In 2021, the BCTDA adopted strategic imperatives that are informing and guiding the direction of Explore Asheville’s program of work and community investments going forward. These strategic imperatives include:
- Deliver balanced recovery and sustainable growth
- Encourage safe and responsible travel
- Engage and invite more diverse audiences
- Promote and support Asheville’s creative Spirit
In addition, the Explore Asheville staff has adopted and embraced the following core values:
- Innovate & Evolve – We seek out new ideas and are open to change.
- Leadership & Collaboration – We focus on the truly important priorities to make the most positive impact.
- Equity & Empathy – We respect and embrace differences recognizing real progress requires inclusion.
What we offer:
Explore Asheville offers a competitive benefits package that includes a Paid Time Off program with 18 days to start, 11 annual paid office holidays, employer-subsidized medical insurance, employer-provided dental, life, STD and LTD insurance, plus 401k with a company match, and employee wellness benefits.