ABOUT THE ROLE
Travel Portland’s Content Manager leads the production of inspiring content that motivates visits to the city, generates economic impact for local businesses and shines a light on our community’s values. In this role, you’ll manage robust, multimedia projects and build our editorial calendar, assigning stories and editing and providing feedback to writers from diverse backgrounds. This is an opportunity to join a strong team of content developers and lead, shape and own a best-of-class website rich in editorial content.
This role requires excellent communication and organizational skills to lead others in producing, executing and delivering content. Your expertise as an editor is matched only by your passion for managing complex projects. You also care passionately about Portland and believe that tourism is vital to its future.
WHAT YOU WOULD BE DOING
- Managing the day-to-day flow of content publication and maintenance on travelportland.com to inspire and serve visitors and potential visitors.
- Ensuring the journalistic integrity and clarity of stories that embody Portland’s diversity and express Travel Portland’s brand.
- Collaborating with team members and external partners to ensure that content effectively reaches our target audiences, through SEO, advertising and social promotion.
- Consistently measuring the success of individual pieces of content and applying those learnings to future efforts.
WHAT YOU BRING
- You have 4+ years of editorial experience, ideally with an online-first media outlet, digital publication and/or website, and at least 2 years of project management experience.
- You are adept at crafting a compelling editorial vision based on the audience you are trying to reach, and fulfilling this vision in partnership with freelance writers, external vendors and internal stakeholders.
- You are an exceptional writer and editor, and are passionate about conveying information in a clear and inspiring manner.
- You are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and empowering subjects to tell their own stories.
- You have an insatiable curiosity about Portland and travel, and the many stories of our community. You don’t have to have tourism or marketing experience, but you should be a fan of Portland, and be prepared to ramp up your knowledge of the city and the tourism industry.
- You enjoy applying data to your ongoing work. You are comfortable working within platforms like Google Analytics and WordPress.
WHAT CAN HELP YOU STAND OUT
- Previous experience as an editor on integrated campaigns across web, social media and other platforms.
- A pre-existing understanding of Portland and/or the tourism industry.
- A strong existing network of freelance writers and content creators.
- Talent for managing projects with multiple external contributors.
WHAT TRAVEL PORTLAND OFFERS
- Competitive salary
- Generous benefits
- 401(k) employer contribution of 5%
- Partially remote work schedule
- TriMet transit pass
- Cell phone allowance
ABOUT TRAVEL PORTLAND
Travel Portland is a promoter and steward of this evolving city and its progressive values, which have the power to transform the people who visit us. Travel Portland generates travel demand that drives economic impact for Portland. We do that by promoting the destination in bold, innovative and collaborative ways that harness Portland’s personality and values and that connect visitors to authentic experiences. We do it because we believe in the good of Portland and the transformative effects of travel.
As part of the marketing department, Travel Portland’s content team produces award-winning, industry-leading content that inspires and serves visitors while highlighting local business owners and community members, especially those from historically marginalized populations. We partner with agencies and organizations that share our values, and we don’t just promote the city and region; we invest in making it better for visitors and residents alike.
Above all, a career at Travel Portland is rewarding, interesting and offers ample opportunity for you to make your mark and make a difference. We value collaboration, offer competitive salaries and benefits, and are committed to a welcoming and balanced work culture.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
At Travel Portland, we hold ourselves accountable for making equity, diversity and inclusion more than just words. We are taking action to ensure that our organization is learning and applying the competencies necessary to become a better employer, business and community partner. We believe that we are strongest when we embrace the strength of our differences.
We are committed to developing programs, partnerships and campaigns that reflect the dimensions of diversity through our destination’s people, places and experiences. We seek to make every effort to promote an authentic visitor experience rooted in the cultural tapestry of our communities and the hospitality and tourism industry. And we hold ourselves accountable to anti-discriminatory interactions guided by allyship, direct and open communication, integrity and mutual respect.
Travel Portland’s Values
- We care about our city and our community.
- We are approachable and welcoming.
- We hold ourselves accountable for making equity, diversity and inclusion more than just words.
- We assume good intent and invite collaboration.
- We take pride in our work and always seek to do better.
- We are responsible stewards of our financial resources.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.