Who We Are
Charlotte will be recognized as the most sought-after city in the Southeast, known for its undeniable energy, passionate people, and captivating experiences.
The Manager, Facility/Arena Operations develops and oversees the facility and event operations of the Spectrum Center. Partner with the Charlotte Hornets to ensure effective and efficient operations for concerts, events, and NBA games, as well as manage critical NBA procedures and protocols. This role is responsible for the day-to-day management of the operations department including arena conversions, staffing, and the financial performance of the department.
A. Essential Job Duties
- Provides the Director of Operations with a detailed cost analysis of each event, conversion, and specialized project.
- Will be responsible for the scheduling of staff members to ensure proper labor coverage is available for daily venue operation and to satisfy event requirements.
- Manages all labor requests for other facilities of CRVA, including all changeover labor for Spectrum Center and supplemental labor as requested at the Charlotte Convention Center, Bojangles Coliseum and Ovens Auditorium.
- Maintains an electronic record of all labor hours for the Facility Operations department to be used as a resource when needed.
- Creates event cost estimates for all upcoming events for the Facility Operations Department.
- Responds to facility operations requests of the Charlotte Hornets on an on-going basis.
- Ensures that all labor hours are being utilized in an appropriate manner and that any contracted hours are fully justified by business needs.
- Responsible for the care, maintenance, storage and presentation of the NBA basketball court, college basketball court, concert staging, arena seating and the hockey dasher equipment.
- Responsible for the performance and planning of all facility conversions.
- Prepares monthly budget reports for Director of Operations.
- Completes work injury reports with assistance from Supervisors and communicates information with leadership.
- Assists supervisor with conversion orientation for all staff by reviewing policies and procedures manual, facilities procedures, and departmental practices.
- Periodically review and update training documents, policies, and procedures.
- Orders and allocates all equipment and supplies to ensure efficient and effective product use.
- Event management of sporting events, concerts, and family shows.
- Manage small to mid-level contract management.
- Oversee the workorder program for the Operations Department.
- Assist Operations Supervisor in creating and approval of schedule.
- May perform other duties as required.
B. Consistently deliver the best in customer service. Demonstrate a passion for inspiring and be a driving force behind an amazing team to foster strong cross-functional relationships internally and externally by applying the Service Philosophy, to deliver memorable customer experiences.
C. Champion CRVA’s mission, vision, and core values and comply with organizations policies and procedures.
Scope of Responsibility
- This job has budgetary responsibilities
- This job will have periodic access to confidential data including products costs and employee data
- Manage operations employees including supervisory positions and supervises up to thirty non-supervisory employees.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units, also during the conversion process.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- 3-5 years experience in an arena or stadium operations
- 3-5 years supervisory experience in a team-oriented environment
- Effective and efficient planner, able to juggle scheduled, events, and projects all in a fast paced, ever-changing environment.
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the Arena industry
- Previous experience managing budgets
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hour as needed
- Ability to read, interpret, and effectively communicate necessary policies and procedures
- Ability to manage, lead, and influence others on a team while prioritizing multiple projects
- Experience with multi-contractor management
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines
- Excellent Microsoft Office-Suite skills and competency
- Ability to establish a positive rapport using tact and discretion with patrons and team members.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Self-motivated problem solver focused on high level execution
- Must have professional attitude and appearance
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the Arena industry
- Basic knowledge of facility operating standards, OSHA, personnel, and office management
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
- Treats all customers and vendors with highest degree of respect and courtesy, delivers exceptional service to internal and external customers.
Education and Experience
- Associate Degree (A. A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school is preferred and two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 -75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk.
What We Offer
- Education Reimbursement
- NC Retirement system plan
- CRVA University
- Employee 1st Culture
- CORE Values
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate depending on event.
- This job has minimal travel requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Inclusion to us means respecting all differences and that those differences can drive people and performance to new heights. Our “employee first” culture requires engagement and engagement can’t happen without the voices of many talented and diverse individuals charting our direction.