Geographic Expeditions (GeoEx), an award-winning, forty-year-old, San Francisco-based adventure travel company, seeks a bright, innovative, and tech-savvy Air Travel Specialist with great customer-service skills and strong attention to detail.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating with GeoEx sales staff to plan itineraries with suitable air options for guests.
- Liaising with GeoEx tour guests by phone, via email, and occasionally in person, to discuss their air travel requirements, as well as to coordinate needed stopover arrangements.
- Researching appropriate options for guests. Reviewing options based on GeoEx’s numerous airline contracts and external contract sources.
- Reviewing and discussing with guests fare rules regarding cancellation and changes that apply after ticketing, and checking if guests want additional TCI coverage for non-refundable or penalty fee tickets.
- Assisting guests with airline upgrades on air tickets purchased through GeoEx
- Booking hotel reservations directly with contracted hotels using our contract rates, and following up on issuing hotel vouchers, and charging guests’ credit cards for payment, when due.
- Liaising with various departments at GeoEx to confirm status of guests’ reservation or ticketing status.
- Advising guests on options for their air arrangements and stopover arrangements.
- Preparing customized air itineraries to suit the guests’ preferences and budget.
- Making and confirming air and hotel bookings, via our Global Distribution System (Amadeus), via the web, or via email.
- Issuing tickets or relevant documents.
- Processing credit-card charges when issuing contractual bulk tickets.
- Providing up-to-date advice on travel regulations, including visa requirements and baggage limits.
- Modifying existing bookings to suit a change in guests’ circumstances.
- Exchanging air tickets.
- Assisting with coverage when colleagues are out of the office.
- Occasionally assisting with emergency air needs outside of normal business hours.
- Advanced proficiency in GDS skills (Amadeus preferred)
- Excellent international air ticketing experience including experience with bulk ticketing
- Knowledge of international airlines and their routes
- Experience in working with airline contracts and consolidators
- Experience in working with IAR and accounting interfaces (TRAMS preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, flexibility, and sense of humor
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies, software systems, etc.
- Strong organizational skills along with effective time management skills
- Collaboration skills to build strong relationships with staff and within the Air Team
- Ability to problem solve and create solutions on the spot
- Grace under fire—ability to maintain calm during times of stress and business pressure
- Commitment to company-wide policies regarding consistency
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced office environment
- Proactive and able to prioritize duties, anticipate deadlines, and take ownership
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with international air ticketing
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Previous experience with a like-minded travel company is a plus
Benefits include Vacation and Holiday pay, Sick pay, Medical, Dental, Group Term Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, FAM trip funds, ability to participate in our 401(k). We also have a variety of fun company-sponsored staff events throughout the year.
GeoEx, a pioneer of travel to remote and challenging destinations since 1982, provides handcrafted cultural tours, treks, safaris, and journeys by ship and train to the world’s most astonishing places.
GeoEx is honored to be repeatedly chosen as one of Outside Magazine’s “Best Places to Work.”
GeoEx is located in the Tides Converge building in the Presidio of San Francisco, CA
How to Apply
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.