How to prepare for Black History Month: The Black Travel Alliance’s guide to sharing Black stories with authenticity and excitement.
In this episode, our President Martinique Lewis hosts a panel with – DeAnna Taylor (Senior Editor at Travel Noire) and – Rondel Holder (VP & Creative Director of Multi-Cultural Content at NYC & Company).
If you wish to partner with us at Black Travel Alliance, contact our Partnerships Team.
The guests gave their perspectives and insights on what travel brands and content creators should do to prepare for Black History Month (Febrary 2022).
- WHEN: Thursday, December 9, 2021 from 1 PM to 2:30 PM ET (Hopin will adjust for your time zones)
- WHERE: Hopin (online platform) ADMISSION: Complimentary
Content Creator participants will experience:
- How to identify Black stories and implement them into a campaign for Black History Month – How to write about Black stories authentically and in your own tone
- How to respond when approached by Travel brands to work on a campaign
- How Content Creators can help bridge the gap between Black businesses and destinations
Brands will learn:
- How to identify Black stories and implement them into a campaign
- How to write about Black stories authentically
- How to approach Black writers and help amplify their voices
- How to bridge the gap between Black businesses and your destination
- How to access Black Travel Alliance members for a possible collaboration for Black History Month
- 00:00 – Introduction by Tomiko Harvey, VP Black Travel Alliance
- 00:08:52 – How To Prepare For Black History Month presented by Martinique Lewis
- 00:09:01 – Key Takeaways
- 00:12:04 – Identifying Black Stories
- 00:18:27 – How To Write Black Stories 00:20:49 – Approaching Black Creators: The Do’s and Don’ts
- 00:21:59 – 4 Things You MUST Know
- 00:23 – History Of Black Travel Timeline – https://www.HistoryOfBlackTravel.com
- 00:23:56 – Panelist session starts with DeAnna and Rondel
- 00:25:48 – What does it mean to be in your position and do you think that every DMO should have a position that’s similar to your position Rondel? (VP & Creative Director of Multi-Cultural Content at NYC & Company)
- 00:28:54 – DeAnna, how are you able to identify what to write about in your daily publication? Is it difficult?
- 00:32:41 – Why do you think that most DMOs don’t showcase Black stories/voices?
- 00:35:19 – What are the correct ways to approach business in order to get them to amplify Black stories/voices?
- 00:40:55 – How do you suggest presenting ideas so that your management approves it?
- 00:46:35 – DeAnna, what suggestions can you give to Brands about how Black journalists can pitch to them comfortably and successfully?